an admin nuke strikes + I am making nukes? + a Great Debate

September 13, 2008 at 11:46 | Posted in Everything | 12 Comments
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Today we start with an update on the clearing of SC’s spam yesterday, after it was confirmed that it is likely to have been deleted by an admin and not one of the mods – who, it would seem, have never actually had the power to delete all of a member’s comments according to someone writing on yesterday’s post who was, judging by the avatar and email provided, Sandy Duncan …

… on Yesterday’s Post “tig3rdude’s spam dies when it looked stronger than ever + the Nerds yield an insight into the life of the funn-a mrsmes”

yoyogamesguy wrote:

“The mods have never had any powers taken away….actually they will get a new set of tools when we YYG release the site refresh in a few weeks.”

… on tig3rdude1993’s profile …

ZekeGames wrote:

“If anybody has news on where the next account of SC is let me know so we can ban it before he fills the site with more childish spam.”

pilotteaml wrote:

“Can’t you just wipe all of his comments?”

ZekeGames wrote:

“Not with one button. That moderation power isn’t added yet. We have to do them one by one, now.”

spork wrote:

“hi sc, im being accused of being you. Now, tell me….AM I YOU?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

dude, how is this guy not banned? HE WAS ON MY FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111″

I wrote:

“…

his spam is gone?

Did an admin delete it, or did one of the mods actually take the time to individually delete collectively over a thousand pages of spam? :\”

pilotteaml wrote:

“I think the admin nuke was dropped.”

ZekeGames wrote:

“I think it was the “admin nuke” Because (at a rough estimate) 100 pages would be about a half hour.”

[meaning all of SC’s spam would’ve taken 4-5 hours for a mod to delete]

spork wrote:

“i agree

lol he has no friends”

Sinister96 wrote:

“i hope SC hacks mavrikgames”

wtf SC said he wants to rape me OH GOD HIDE ME

OMG OMG OMG

[he’s still around :D]

Next up today, we’re going to take a look at the smes’ latest misunderstanding, >.< this time originating from a tig3rdude quote I posted a few days ago …

… on my profile …

I wrote:

“ha ha ha

Extract from the PM he just sent me:

“”Sorry an administrator has disabled your ability to add comments.”

they have ruined my plans i cannot fulfill the dream the great dream a dream of death fire and guns yes it is all over now i must rethink my plan as tigerdude said my plans are shit but this one will be real yes real war my country is secretly making nukes under my supervision we will destroy america thus killing tigerdude and then britain killing you and ivor big cannon”

813 pages of spam from SC there, by the way. 813.25 pages to be exact.”

conn067 wrote:

“He’s gonna make a bomb? LOL… This I gotta see”

mrsmes wrote:

“AKH, make a bomb, never that can’t be the real AKH, it must be his clone, account the evil version of him, and I can’t let this happen I’ll put a stop to it, eventually and world piece will be the first time it ever goes in place and stays in place 4 a eternity.”

I wrote:

“XD

mrsmes, conn067 was talking about tig3rdude1993 making a bomb. The part where he said “my country is secretly making nukes under my supervision”. 😉 and it’s not really happening. ^_^”

And lastly for today, I’ve decided to cover a debate that erupted from one of tigerdude’s comments a couple of days ago regarding things that were said in the “Nerds?” Forum Topic.

as we all hoped, it has remained completely civil.

… on “A new spam enscription + A new t1gergal? + mrsmes’ massive SHOW DOWN COMPETITIONS + An AKHLog Anniversary + Nerds :\ + the end of the world? A disturbing connection.”

I wrote:

“This is also the blog’s 900th post, by the way. ;D

tigerdude1993 wrote:

“sorry i didn’t link to your post today, i dedicated it to the victims of 9/11 and did a sort of summary about the attack.

i think elisson is legit, the only thing wrong with this is the IP Address.

sorry ivor biggun, you have some messed up theories on social class. im not gonna be serving any dork some burgers, i’ll be sending them to jail. seems like in this age the nerds are the complete idiots, and most of the time they’ll do bad stuff in order to impress people that are higher in the social class than they are. and trust me, they aren’t as smart as they claim. cool people just dont brag about grades all the time. and there is nothing wrong with gays? i could spend hours on end in a religion war about that, a social war about that, any kind of war against gays. don’t even make me. and i’m getting sick and tired of you thinking that you can just go around saying how awesome dorks are. ha, most of your kind work at these fast food restaurants, unlike what you claimed. get your facts straight and get in with the times, ivor. and just because you know some coding, doesn’t mean you’re smart. you just took the time to learn something.”

“lol im a judge

lol chuck storm”

I wrote:

““i think elisson is legit, the only thing wrong with this is the IP Address.”

… Which unfortunately puts the chances of elisson not being SC at around 1 in 4,143,972,361 (that’s an actual calculated figure) since she didn’t claim to know what a proxy is.

elisson could be genuine however, if there was a bug with the forum software or website cache. ;)

“and there is nothing wrong with gays? i could spend hours on end in a religion war about that, a social war about that, any kind of war against gays. don’t even make me.”

if you’re not religious, you don’t see a religious problem with gays. VOR is atheist as far as I know, so he and a lot of other people (me included) won’t care what christianity or any other religion thinks, with little to no factual base, is right and wrong.

And a “social war” about how gays are wrong is kinda like a social war about how black people are wrong. Someone does not choose if they are gay, someone does not choose if they are black, so why should someone be punished for something out of their control? Should a rich family buy and demolish your house to make you homeless just because you’re (I assume) middle/working class?

And if you want to be technical about what you think is wrong with gays, I don’t know, like how about “they won’t have children of their own to keep the human population running”, then I suppose you’re also opposed to the mentally disabled, the physically disabled, and the horrifically injured.

if you wanna go down the “they’ll make other people gay and cause humanity to gradually go extinct” route, if you would even be one of the people stupid enough to believe that that would happen, then you are grouping every gay person as one of the extreme few who do not outwardly appear the same as everyone else.

(just two of the many arguments I’ve heard in the past)

Homosexuality is not isolated to the human species, it is part of the animal kingdom and nature, it cannot be stopped and it must be accepted. if humanity could not adapt to change it would be extinct, and this is just another change it needs to adapt to.

(this isn’t really a dig at you, I just don’t want to appear in support of what you said there). ;)

tigerdude1993 wrote:

“actually the things you posted about “gays” in your last comment is not what i thought about them…oh well, it’s fine, just read the rest of this comment.

i understand when it comes to religion.
OFF TOPIC: by the way i respect people’s ideas and i won’t be all like “YOU GET SAVED NOW”, that’s the type of christian spriter12 seems to be >_> and i know that you wont just do something because some guy on the internet tells you. if you want to be saved, get saved, if you dont, then im not gonna make you ;)

but the social aspect…yeah that’s definitely NOT what i meant, they just don’t get a lot of respect, here in america. they get bashed on a ton. usually you’ll always here someone who’s all like “that’s gay” or “that’s homo”, idk if that’s the way it is in britain. oh and i would hate to have a gay guy friend, what if they started hitting on you? >_< *shudder*

and by the way…some gays are born that way, but you have to realize that some people choose to be gay…it’s not like they have to, but for some, it kinda is…pretty hard for me to explain, i don’t know how the gay mind works D i don’t ever want to either…

yeah i knew you weren’t trying to start an argument or anything, i like listening to the ideas of others. i like being able to compare opinions on things and maybe rethink what i previously thought. so it’s fine ;)

VOR wrote:

“I hadnt had a chance to read the comments, I have now so Ill post a response. Tiger you did the courtesy of making a post (which you obviously feel strongly about) without the use of obscenity, which for that reason alone deserves a measured response. Thank you.

First your definition of Social Class. I think this may be a barrier of language. Im not quite sure what the US definition of Social Class is, but in the UK, its an outdated method to describe someones status (usually related to pay/life) I will explain: (here are the three social classes)

Working Class – Traditionally coal miners, factory workers etc.

Middle Class – White collar worker.

Upper Class – Inherited old money, lords, land owners etc.

The comments I made in regards to dorks and geeks are as much as a generalization as the terms themselves.

Tiger, Im quite sure if you went into one of your sports lessons and admitted to your fellow teammates the extent of your computer skill, you would be called a “dork” or a “geek” I remember you even getting interested in hacking and posting that on this blog (in terms of what non-computer users label a dork, hacker is probably right up there at number one)

The point I was making in my comments, was that the people who are calling others “dorks” and “geeks” is because they dont understand the subjects.

I believe the term you use for a person who goes down the sports route at school is called a “jock” (these people are labeled “cool” at school)
but how many actually go on to be pro and make money? With my limited knowledge of US pro sport, id say it cant be all. So its not far fetched to believe that these people without accademic results, who dont make it in sport have a very limited career choice.

As I said before (and on your blog) you can be both.

Tiger is not the coding that made me smart. Its my 8 GCSEs at A+B grade, its my 3 A levels at A and a degree in Computer Systems Engineering (Major)(Minor) 2:1 that makes me smart. Its over 6 years of further education. If thats bragging about grades then so be it. I worked damn hard to achieve them.

I think the main problem between our views is that our definitions of Nerd and Dork are completely different. I consider a Nerd and a Dork someone who has education. What you describe as a Nerd and Dork, suggests they dont, if thats the case then no wonder they end up working in a restaurant.

If you read my post carefully, you will see that I allways encourage the study side of anything. You will be very lucky to get a good job without the grades. Next we move onto the Gay subject, which I will make as a separate post.”

“AKH is spot on. I dont have a religion. I believe this makes me a very impartial person, as I dont favour any particular religion.

I cant really comment on anything youve said on the Gay issue, as to me everyone has a right to be happy. I have gay friends and I have hetrosexual friends. I have friends that are Muslim, I have friends that are Christian and friends that are Jewish.

We are all human at the end of the day, and I personally would challenge any religion that seeks to single out and persecute a group of people.

Tiger, If I may qoute you: “but you have to realize that some people choose to be gay…it’s not like they have to, but for some, it kinda is”

I dont see your point. I dont know if the above is accurate but even if it was, why does it matter?

I heard these comments before. They are very dangerous. I honestly believe Tiger, that you are a good person, and these comments are coming out wrong, as the above remarks sound like something out of the book Mein Campf.

The other reason I like to show my support for the Gay community is because, there may be some people who post on the yoyo forums who are a little confused about their own sexuality and I dont think it helps them when they see other users belittling the Gay community with off the cuff remarks.

Despite being an arrogant old sod, I do have a heart. and I would not like to think of some Yoyo user getting upset in regards to their life.

And thats the VOR take on it.

Oh and sorry AKH, Ive never thought about the subject as in depth as you have. What a decent article!”

“Moving on now, I will give AKH an exclusive update on what ive been up to these past few weeks.

As you are aware from a while ago, I have been helping with a GNU project which aims to gets people with disabilities using computers, in particular in developing countries.

As I said before a friend of mine has been “working in the field” so to speak, and by all accounts is living a little like a hobbit at the moment (literally in a hole in the ground)

You may also have noticed that the Ivor Biggun profile has taken on a distinct Linux flavour, this is because of the upcoming Software Freedom day on the 20th (connected with the project) and its hopefully going to be the day that the computer user gets some power back from the large companies that have controlled it for so long by switching to true open source applications.

If anyone is interested in Software Freedom day and its affiliated project they can go to http://www.fsf.org/ and check out an excellent video by Stephen Fry.

It would also be appreciated if people would sign up to: http://defectivebydesign.org/

“Software is like air conditioning, open Windows and it doesnt work””

tigerdude1993 wrote:

“Ivor, about the quote that you took from me, i guess it came out wrong. i meant that some people aren’t born gay, some are. but i’d rather just stop discussing that issue.

your welcome for the post, and thanks for the compliments about me not using vulgarity. i saw your comments over on my blog and edited the post (took out the “if i were your child” part). if there is ANYTHING you want me to edit, i will change it to your liking.

i apologize if i have been sounding harsh lately, my mood is horrible right now, i haven’t had decent sleep in days.

and i’ve been wondering, ivor. what is linux, besides the fact that it’s an operating system? do you have to buy it? can you install it on a windows 98 system? i got tons of questions, if you have the time ;)

VOR wrote:

“Firstly as I said on your blog, no need to appologise, its sorted and for the readers here please go over to tigers blog, for an interesting and dignified set of posts.

What is Linux? – I wont go too deep, for fear of boring all. But I hope some may get some answers about an OS that sounds like its for the elite computer user and in reality isnt.

Linux is a complete operating system, maintained upgraded and distributed by enthusiasts. Its free, and better than that you can completely customize it if you wish.

Linux has a front-end so that when you are using it, it is similar in look to Windows. Two common frontends that are used are GNOME and KDE.

There are many different versions of Linux (and this sometimes confuses people) These are known as distro’s and you’ll see names such as Red Hat, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE.
Just think of these as different modifications of the same OS. A little like the catch the clown tutorial that loads of people modify on yoyo. Its the same code, just slightly altered.

The best Linux distro, for anyone who wants an easy life is probably Ubuntu Linux. This has the best hardware support and you can be up and running very quickly with it.

So why should you change OS?
Good question. If you are a games player (in particular DX10) then forget it. You can run Windows software (I run WOW through Linux) however you wont get the same compatibility YET for DX10 games.

If you are like the average user, where you have a console for games and you use your PC to wordprocess/program/surf then Linux is for you.

So what advantages does it have?

Before thats answered, Ill ask you. How long does it take to boot Windows for you? about 1min? longer? and how long does it take to shut down?

I can boot (on a 4 year old PC) the latest version of Ubuntu in about 15 seconds. Shutting down takes about 10.

Next up, in Windows are you fed up with your system pausing and your hard drive churning like mad, just because youve created a folder whilst having a few programs running in the background?
No such thing in Linux. Infact you can even load Linux completely into memory.

Lets take another example. Packages written for Linux run on my systems at least x2 faster than their windows versions. (Example: Eternal Lands)

Next up, there is an open source version of any package you currently have. Use MS Word? or Works? Linux has ABIword and Openoffice and unless you are some sort of Word superuser, ABIWORD and openoffice have all the features you need.

People often think that Linux is all “dos type commands” and “you have to type everything in”

Have a look at this demonstration of Ubuntu Linux and tell me how you think this compares with those statements.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxfSwzhSn1c

So what are the drawbacks?

Yep, there are some. Firstly, hardware support can be a problem. There may be some items that you have that Linux will not like, and you will have to get “your hands dirty” check a forum for help then dive in to sort it out. Having said that, will the many Ubuntu distro’s Ive installed the only hardware problems I came across were for “out of the ordinary” hardware, i.e lightpens and weird old dialup modems.

Not sure? Dont want to remove Windows?

Not a problem. Ubuntu comes with an installer that allows you to create a partition and then sticks a menu at bootup allowing you to select windows or Ubuntu. This is called dual booting.
I forgot to mention, you have even boot Ubuntu from a DVD and have a play around with it, without installing anything.

There must be a cost! Something so good cant be free, can it?

Yep it can, Linux is maintained by talented good guys who believe software should be free to all people to modify and do with as they please.

A few more facts to put across.

1. You dont need a virus checker – Due to the many different distros and the permissions way Linux operates there are very few virus’s and even fewer that can attack your system.

2. You dont need a firewall – mainly for the same reason as above, although I do use one, only because its simpler if i want to open specific ports.

3. Linux is for computer experts – No it isnt, my wife has as much computer experience as a tortoise and she can install software/use/maintain Linux with no problems.

4. Linux cant run Windows software – Yes it can, through a package called Wine. This is constantly being updated, and yes GM does work with it now.

5. Linux takes up ALOT less space than Windows and requires less system resources.

6. The Linux penguin logo is far cooler than that silly windows one.

So there you have it. Linux 101.”

paul wrote:

Well who said linux isn’t for the gamer?
-katomic, kasteroids and potato man! (really katomic is still my favourite game type).

Anyways I myself don’t have any experience with linux, however I do have some experiences with BSD (freeBSD with KDE/gnome I believe it was): It ran very “smooth”, Well not smooth but never really halted on a 133MHz pc – You could do like 1000 things and then wait an hour to open everything, but eventually it all worked!
However we DO got a lot of problems with it: it was by far not as user friendly as windows: we had lot’s of problems to mount my usb stick. The problem was that you have to know the command set: it’s not really easy to get help without access to the internet (sure there are books, however windows just feels more natural).

1. Don’t say that too loud: if a linux distro ever might become as popular as windows there simply WILL be virusses…
2. Same thing as above…
3. Sure once you set up everything it’s just as easy as windows: however setting up everything can be a pain!
4. And I can run 100 km/h: in a train! Seriously, if you want windows software just use dual boot windows. Wine doesn’t run all software equally good and there are lots of bugs. (GM for example didn’t run till 3 months ago).
5. Well there got to be a reason to use linux P
6.
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1245/takeittux2hk7.png
’nuff said (Beastiy ftw!)”

I wrote:

““actually the things you posted about “gays” in your last comment is not what i thought about them”

Yeah, I didn’t think you would, but those were the first anti-gay remarks I’ve heard that I can remember off the top of my head, I thought I’d start with some examples. ;)

“but the social aspect…yeah that’s definitely NOT what i meant, they just don’t get a lot of respect, here in america. they get bashed on a ton. usually you’ll always here someone who’s all like “that’s gay” or “that’s homo”, idk if that’s the way it is in britain.”

Yeah, we use gay as an insult here in Britain too. Gay people can have hard lives, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t live their lives as they gradually become accepted (which is happening right now). I see the insult “gay” as a third meaning to the word ;) the original being happy, and second being homosexual.

And also, think about this: why would a gay person be offended at being called gay when that’s what they are? ;) Yes, some take offense but there are a lot too who wouldn’t.

“i would hate to have a gay guy friend, what if they started hitting on you? >_< *shudder*”

… yeah … I’m not too sure that would happen much, but I’ve known of it happening to someone in the past (and it didn’t end well).

A girl can be friends with a guy without it being sexual, and in that way straight-gay friendships aren’t any different.”

… in tigerdude’s post “I’ve Got News For You Ivor, it isn’t the 1500’s Anymore”

VOR wrote:

“A particularly confrontational post, and although Ive responded to you on AKH’s blog, I will do so here. Thanks for the courtesy (again) of not resorting to vulgarity (as I knew you wouldnt) I think this will be an interesting debate and all the more interesting because its held in a mature and coherent manner.

Right, where to start. Ok let me qoute myself,:

“I think I get the Yoyogames award for being the biggest Geek, Im also the richest”

to which you replied:

[No one cares about your riches Ivor. You know you strike me as a geek who thinks he’s better than everyone else. Hmm, seems like the classic “cool people think they’re better than everyone else” stereotype is done.]

Fair, comment, however if you noticed my next comment (which Im sure you did because you qouted it):

“On a serious note though, to everyone, be proud of who you are, excel in your areas of interest and to hell with what people say.”

So lets take a look at that. “On a serious note though….” I am surprised you didnt pick up on that, maybe I hadnt made it clear, but for me, it was a “tongue in cheek” bit of wit. I presume most other people “got” it as I wasnt flooded with abuse afterwards and I am actually surprised you didnt.

I would like you to read the rest of my response on AKH’s blog. Im not being lazy, its simply that I worded quite a big one, and there doesnt seem to be any reason to “double up” by posting the same here.

I would like to add here though Tiger that I believe your posts may be coming out wrong, as I dont believe you are a homophobic person. Any type of discrimination against ANY group of people is wrong, and I thought it was the one thing myself you and AKH had in common when “fighting the good fight” against Satan Child.

I am actually not believing I am typing this, and especially not to you, but the one thing I would like to mention is this. Alot of my posts are designed to get a reaction, a lot of my posts are designed to humiliate stupid or biggoted people. Its because of this I have had quite alot of abuse. I find this funny, and am far too long in the tooth to be insulted by any petty remark that is thrown at me. I can laugh at myself as much as anyone else can, and my “nerdy” flaws that people may laugh at, I can laugh at to. I am happy with myself and my life. I have though (and I am amazed) found myself deeply upset by one small comment, and that was:

“Wow, I would hate to be your child. sorry.”

I pride myself on being the best father I can. My children are THE MOST important thing in my life, nothing else matters. I try my hardest to provide all the things I could never have as a child and now with our latest addition I am doing the same.

I want the best for my children, and will do everything to equip them with the best education they can possibly get so that they can have the best life possible. Perhaps I spoil them, perhaps I give in too easily and buy things, but its with the view that if they get used to having the things that they want, they will get the education level to get the job later in life that can provide these things for themselves.

Please, if you want to insult me, do so. Out of respect for your work curtailing SC’s behaviour I wont even argue back. But please dont belittle or cast aspersions on my kids.

Regards, Ivor.”

“Oh and can I ask. Tiger if you check back on both yours and AKH’s log, you will see that I do say you can be both cool and dork at the same time.

What you have to remember is that the Yoyogames forum is a slightly difference audience to here and my posting style changes somewhat. There are people who need encouragement (you havent quoted my encouragement of a poet who posted on yoyo)

Coolness is in the eye of the beholder. and as I said on your blog before something which manifests itself in different ways. A cool person to me is someone who excels in a particular area and develops that skill. I also believe I applied it to Firefall being a female interested in computing.

I think the one thing we have in common is our difference in definitions. Here are mine which I believe are just about the official UK line on the subject (for my generation anyway)

Dork – Someone who is intelligent to the point of being socially isolated. This person can apply their brain to a subject and keep interested for long periods.

Geek – Someone who is same as above, however proactively seeks to recruit other likeminded individuals. Geeks also have a love of something which usually involves RPG’s or SCI FI.

Nerd – Someone who is interested in a topic that isnt particular mainstream. For example someone who plays D&D with dice.

The one thing ALL of the above must have is a high level of qualifications (as per my definitions)

Next we come onto the “cool” term. Which I classify as the following:

Cool,”Player”,Raver etc – These refer to people who are looked up at the time by their peers. They go to the clubs, they are popular, and have very busy lives.

This is how it was when I was studying, sometimes you had a little mix, but the most popular people were the ones who failed in exams. You have to also remember that when I was going through the school system, it was “normal” to start a job (fulltime) before you were 16. Very few people went on to study A levels, and I remember from a year of about 200 pupils there were about 40 who went on to A levels and about 15 who then went onto university.

Anyway just thought Id clarify my definitions.”

“While I await your reply (hopefully)

I like to clarify another point, which I didnt think I needed to as I believed the “spirit” was obvious to you. It was probably an underestimation by me, as you probably have better things to do then check all the yoyo posts of Ivor comments. The fact that youve missed it makes me believe you wont be alone, so just as I gave an exclusive to AKHs blog, heres one for you.

As I say above, my posting topic/style is slightly different on the yoyo forum. When I look at many posts, one behaviour seems to come out many times.

This is the belittling and stereotyping of “geek” type behaviour, as in study, programming, computing etc. It strikes me as sad that many intelligent people who have posted on the yoyo forums may stop or curtail an accademic interest purely because its not seen as “cool” by others. Thats why I post the way I do. I am trying to “balance the books” and provide the other side which says “hey, if you want to do something geeky, go for it”

How many people have been put off following what others see as a “geeky” interest? We will never know the answer, but the one thing I hope my posts highlight is the importance of education. Education gives you choices, if after getting the education someone decides to work in a restaurant because they want to, great. But at least they have a choice, and thats something education can give.

I had a friend at school, a brilliant at maths, this guy was seriously clever. He didnt continue it, as it wasnt seen as cool, and he ended up as clerk in an office. Not the job he wanted to do, and whilst he had reasonable pay, what could he have earned if he had followed his maths skill? – I dont know, but what I do know is that a degree in maths (which he could have easily done) would have probably got him nearly any job he applied for.

Dont get me wrong, my mate is happy with his life, but even he now wonders how different things could have been if he hadnt “given in”.

I hope for all your readers, that clears up my angle on this subject.”

tigerdude1993 wrote:

“Ivor: Terribly sorry about the thing where I said “I would hate to be your kid”, it was wrong of me to say that, hopefully you will accept my apology. If you would like I will edit my post to your liking. And about gays…the only reason I would go off on them is if one of them asked me out (which I think is extremely gross >_<). And I understand now, what your point was in those quotes. I’m really glad you aren’t pissed at me for the post. If I was being harsh and a jerk to you in the post today, I was just awe struck at some of the content. And being insanely tired doesn’t help either…I’m in a really bad mood right now, and this post shows it.

I apologize to you, and if you want me to change anything in my post (besides the part about your child, which I will change right away), let me know.

“Thanks for the courtesy (again) of not resorting to vulgarity (as I knew you wouldnt) I think this will be an interesting debate and all the more interesting because its held in a mature and coherent manner.”

your welcome 🙂 “

VOR wrote:

“Theres no need to say sorry, in regards to the Nerds forum (as I said youve better things to do than check all my posts) I was just trying to get across a point.

To be fair, I suppose the thought of my little-un listening to Gusty Geeks Linux Radio is a little disturbing to normal people!

Ill explain, again it was serious, but also not to be taken seriously. When/if you have children yourself, you’ll find parent child interaction is good for settling them and good for their learning skills. It wouldnt matter if I played Gutsy Geeks or Thomas the Tank Engine, as at his age he doesnt understand.

What it does encourage is interaction between myself and him, for example the singing of the theme tune at the beginning, the repeating of words to him etc etc. Repetition is good for young children as it helps them form communication.

His Linux baby grow, is one of many ones and its more to show that Im sad. His selection of grows that I like taking him out in have the following on them:

“Linux Baby”
and
“Dont laugh, he’s my dad”
and
“If you think im handsome, you should see my dad”

Back on topic. I hold nothing against you tiger, but the one thing I do hope you of all people remember: Dont be put off following an interest because its seen as uncool. When I have conversations with you and AKH, both of you are on the same level as me (and in some areas better, although Im not telling you which areas otherwise you’d have the upper hand if we have a debate about them!) thats why I post on your blogs.

I have talked with you for a long time tiger, even if you dont like me saying it, you are very intelligent and capable of much more than I think you would want to admit. I have noticed that you pick up and understand topics VERY quickly and you have a sharp mind. Just as I said to AKH a while ago about his journalism and IT skills, I say to you develop your skills, and get the best education you can.

All the best.
Vor/Ivor”

tigerdude1993 wrote:

“VOR: I guess I’ll start calling you by that name 😀

“I have talked with you for a long time tiger, even if you dont like me saying it, you are very intelligent and capable of much more than I think you would want to admit. I have noticed that you pick up and understand topics VERY quickly and you have a sharp mind. Just as I said to AKH a while ago about his journalism and IT skills, I say to you develop your skills, and get the best education you can.”

Wow, thanks. I really appreciate that. And by the way…you, AKH, and all the other people here (including lamers) have pretty much led me to a career. Although I thought about it for a while, the influence you guys had on me made me make a final decision. And that was to become a lawyer. It seems like these continuing arguments are sort of a mini-version of law. The investigating, the arguing, the challenging…I love it. And I’ll take your advice. I make and will continue to make straight A’s in school, and I’ll never give up 😉 And I’ll take that a step further, by going to Harvard for law school.

“I have talked with you for a long time tiger, even if you dont like me saying it, you are very intelligent and capable of much more than I think you would want to admit.”

And no, that’s the only thing you were wrong about…I am really glad you said (and think) that 🙂 “

Advertisements

12 Comments »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

  1. You people have to stop writing so much! D: 6,271 words.

    That means this is the longest post in the AKHLog’s history.
    😀

  2. damn

    i’ve got a great post coming up for today, but it won’t be that important unless you’re a member of DDNN 😉

  3. nevermind, i’ve got a ton of other things to cover 😉

  4. […] For the final paragraph, I’ll link up to the AKH Log V4. […]

  5. Seems my little plan against SC backfired on me… I’ve got an IP ban, so both accounts are banned now :S I’ll find a way back though, so see you guys in a few days 😉

  6. What strikes me as strange is that yoyo havent implemented a similar piece of script to wordpress, whereby when you try posting identical posts, it prevents you.

    Its not hard and would prevent a lamer like Satanchild from sending more than one, regardless of if he is using a proxy or not.

  7. @AKH: @_@ about gay and straight guys having the same kind of friendships with chicks umm…NO F***ing way dude. DX Seriously, there’s this gay guy at my school, and he’s just plain weird. Like, no straight guy comes up to you and slaps your ass for fun…that’s just not right, unless to that girl that’s their boyfriend or w/e. And normal guys don’t go and say “Oh Em Gee!!! Let’s to shopping!” or “Eeee! He’s so hawt!”. To say the least, I really don’t like gays…actually that sounds a bit harsh. What I really mean is I don’t like gays expressing themselves in front of others that they are gay. I could in fact care less if they are gay or not as long as if they are that they aren’t in public doing their thing.

    @VOR: About nerds and cool people. That’s just plain wrong VOR. You said yourself to reach for your dreams, don’t you think that that’s what they could be doing. My bro got crappy marks in school, was a cool dude, and guess what? He’s top student at his university cause it’s what he wants to do. High school marks and all that mean nothing if it doesn’t relate to your dreams. Haha…nerds are just those snotty people who brag about their marks cause they have no life, and are most likely social rejects or spoils brats. Geeks are ok people I guess…as long as they don’t go all druggie trying to be cool and then end up nerdy lol.

    @Tiger: Hey, you ok? I don’t remember where you live in Texas, but Ike is around in that state, so stay safe. The only reason why I’m on tonight is cause I’m worried sick about my BF, whom is in SA. DX I hope he’s okay..it’s said that SA didn’t get much impact from the storm at all…

  8. Lol I forgot to say to VOR…lots of cool people nowadays get awesome marks too. =D Especially in high school, where it matters. Like Tiger said, it’s the personality that makes you cool or uncool…and no offence, but I’m rereading your posts and I see how you wouldn’t be one of the cooler kids or w/e, your posts seem rather egoic, dramatic, and know-it-all…or well, the ones I’ve read recently are.

  9. “@AKH: @_@ about gay and straight guys having the same kind of friendships with chicks umm…NO F***ing way dude. DX Seriously, there’s this gay guy at my school, and he’s just plain weird. Like, no straight guy comes up to you and slaps your ass for fun…that’s just not right, unless to that girl that’s their boyfriend or w/e. And normal guys don’t go and say “Oh Em Gee!!! Let’s to shopping!” or “Eeee! He’s so hawt!”. To say the least, I really don’t like gays…actually that sounds a bit harsh. What I really mean is I don’t like gays expressing themselves in front of others that they are gay. I could in fact care less if they are gay or not as long as if they are that they aren’t in public doing their thing.”

    XD No no, that’s not what I meant. I was comparing a straight girl – straight guy friendship with a gay guy – straight guy friendship.

  10. @Firefall, its a long time since ive seen a post from you.

    I think its best if you look at tigerdudes blog, being a text medium and not appreciating the fact that people cant read all my posts, you will better see the angle in which Im coming from on the yoyo site, which differs from here.

    In a nutshell though, I always bring down the words “not cool” when I see them, because its usually a put down for someones interests.

    For example your brother was not academic and thats fine, he still did very well. Now in a “nerds” circle of friends the fact that he was not academic would have probably been classed to them as “not cool” however your brother stuck with his skill and interest and did very well out of it. What would have happened if he had just given up? – It goes back to what I said to you before, you do what you are good at and to hell with what anyone else says.

    I dont like the word “cool” and on Yoyo it seems a common occurance for people to belittle interests that other people have. I give the other extreme suggesting that the people that are busy laughing at the ones they call “nerds” or “dorks” are the ones with the problem.

    As I said on tigers blog, it would be awful if, like my friend someone was prevented from doing an interest purely because people called them a dork for doing it.

    I hope ive cleared this up. I wouldnt expect anyone to go through all Ivor comments on Yoyo, so it would be nice it now people understand where I am coming from.

    Take your brother (again) for example. If he wasnt getting the grades, Im sure there would have been people trying to get him to do other things other than academic. He didnt, and it paid off. Good on him.

    Just as I said to you months ago. Forget the stereotypes and do what you are good at and enjoy doing. It will pay off for you also.

  11. Oh and yes, you can have it both ways, be academic and being “cool” but what I am asking is: Who decides whats dorky and cool?

    Why is Startrek considered dorky and the Friends show considered cool?

    Who makes these decisions?

    and who has the authority to tell anyone that their interest is dorky?

    Its really strange this whole concept. In the US, if I came to college wearing leather trousers and “heavy metal” gear, I would be called all sorts, and I certainly wouldnt be cool.

    If I did the same in Germany, I would be.

    See how silly this whole concept is? Coolness or dorkyness isnt actually based on the person themselves, its based on the society idealogy, and why the whole concept of “cool” is so silly.

    Take a look at the “cool” fashions of the 90’s. Would anyone been seen wearing them today?

    I hope not, my shell suit was thrown away years ago.

  12. and if youre looking through previous posts Firefall. Please take a look at the one where I encourage a young poet who posted on yoyo. I think it highlights my whole opinion on “maximizing your potential in your skill” – If that chap had posted similar about say Football, saying about his records in competition, I would have done the same for him.

    For the record the VOR at school was rather lucky. In the days when I went through school, anyone who was still learning after 16 was there because we wanted to be. So in that sense it was “all dorks together”.

    The VOR at school was very good at Rugby (I was left prop). But thats really a little irrelevant because I wasnt really interested in it, and never considered a physical route within education.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: